Tuesday, June 26, 2012

NightRiser chp3


CHAPTER 3
“We’re what?” Fiddle now had a very intense look on his face. “Princess, we’re night risers. Your upbringing tells me you consider yourself human, but you’re not.” I went blank. Fiddle continued. “Don’t worry, you’re not a vampire, or ghost, or werewolf! You’re similar to humans, but you’re not exactly from the Homo sapiens species. We’re aliens…”
I was pretty sure that Fiddle was kidding, but the look on his face said otherwise. This was too much. Was he denying me being human? That was… Ridiculous… “This is impossible” I spat.
“See princess, a long time ago, about 60 years back, me and my wife, we were bought here from Prisma. Prisma, our home planet. A spaceship was sent to our planet, from earth. A young man, Pikshtra, was the one who landed. At first, communication was difficult. He only knew English, and we only knew Pris; Pris is our mothertongue. But somehow, he managed to communicate with my parents. My parents, the king and queen of Prisma. We didn’t have democracy there. It was a small place with less than 1000 population. I was from the royal family, I was the prince. I got married to Fiona when I was ten. Child marriages were common. We had enjoyed about seven years of a well-settled happy life. Well, now Pikshtra somehow convinced my parents to learn the world of each other. He wished to leave two of his men in Prisma, and take me and my wife along with him. My parents denied. That was when he used explosives and kidnapped us. I wasn’t even given a last chance to say goodbye to my parents.”
“I think I should be leaving sir”, I stood up and said. I think old age was getting to this man. It was all like a fictional story. I had never believed in fairy tales, or in ghost stories. And now he was telling me I was a part of something I never even believed. This… this was absurd.  I was about to leave when Fiddle started singing,
Moon oh dear moon, the stars shining so bright
Oh night, you are so beautiful, can’t have you out of sight
Help me find the answers to all the questions that lay ahead
Night oh beautiful night, stars start your parade, talk to my heart
And help me find the answers to all the questions that lay ahead
How on earth did he know this song? This was my song. I’d been singing this right from the start. I stared at him, astonished.
This is our local anthem. It’s not just a song that you know. It is a lock that opens many doors for you. It is divine. It is something that every night riser knows right from his/her birth.
I sat down. Whether or not I believed him, I decided I wanted to know the whole story. Fiddle continued like there was no interruption.
“When Pikshtra kidnapped us, he didn’t notice Evan hiding in the spaceship. Evan was my Stor. Stor is similar to a personal servant, assistant or helper. Evan and I were good friends as well. He had always not only done his duty faithfully but had also been there for me, all the time. When we were brought here, we were taught English. We were tortured to obey them. Pikshtra liked Evan’s presence. Now he had three people to experiment with. Pikshtra forced us through many tests. Our blood samples were forcibly taken, patches of our skin were harshly removed, bunches of our hair were uprooted. We were given many kinds of electric shocks to test our resistance. We almost faced death for Pikshtra’s secret experiment. We were already aggressive, and this only added fuel to the fire. Pikshtra knew about the connection.
One day, we realized that Fiona was pregnant. I felt so miserable. We awaiting this day so badly in Prisma, and when it finally arrived, we were in no position to handle the situation appropriately. We decided to make a plan. We used as much as strength as we had. We ran away at the first chance that we got. Pikshtra got hold of me, but luckily, Fiona managed to escape. So did Evan. After three more years of torture, I couldn’t even stand straight. Pikshtra thought I was dead, and left me then and there to find the others. I somehow gathered myself, and decided to find my Fiona and Evan. None of us could stand the heat. So I waited for the night. I got to them alright through the connection, but so did Pikshtra. He had three others with him.
We fought belligerently that night. Evan sacrificed himself in order to save me, Fiona and Frosty, my son. I still can’t forget that day. I had committed a murder. A murder of a monster, Pikshtra, but a murder nevertheless. After searching for years, we found the team who invented the spaceship which could take us to our homeland. But Pikshtra’s mission was a secret. Nobody believed that we were from Prisma since we appeared and talked like all the humans. And going back to Prisma was impossible anyways. The spaceship no longer existed. We decided to stay on earth. My knowledge about the outer space and interest made me a renowned astronaut and geologist. The sun was never a problem in my job. We felt tired during the day, but could survive the sun as the days passed. We spent most of the day sleeping. We thought this was our happy ending. Frosty fell in love with a human. He had two beautiful daughters.
Two days since they were born, we were attacked. It was those three men who accompanied Pikshtra the day he found us. My son was murdered in front of my eyes. I helped Fiona and my daughter in law escape. So did I. But under the given circumstances, the three of us got separated. A few days later I got the news of my daughter in law being dead. I thought my grandchildren were dead too. I could feel Fiona alive, but even the connection didn’t help.
The connection now is randomly active. It told me about my granddaughters being alive. Somewhere far away from me. I came to this country and here you are, in front of my eyes. I’ve waited many years to see you Lunette. It was me who named you Lunette. The people you live with, are very kind. They’ve adopted you. A source told me that your mother left you outside their house with a letter. I don’t know what was written in the letter, but I can see that she mentioned your name.”
I couldn’t let the conversation die. I asked him “What’s the connection you keep talking about?” in a blank tone. My brain wasn’t ready for reactions or expressions yet. “There were four of us from Prisma. Me, Fiona, Evan and our son. The four of us could read each other’s minds, when the moon was up in the sky. This is called the connection. It helped us stay in touch. Pikshtra’s intended to implant this connection in human’s too, but never succeeded. The connection has weakened with time. I haven’t been able to contact Fiona all these years. I wish I knew where she is. Tell me, haven’t you ever felt the connection at any point Lunette?”
I did. On the day of the incident which Marsella had covered up with a lie. “Be careful princess, Pikshtra’s men know me. They have been after me since a long time. I don’t think they know about you, but if they do, you’ll be in trouble. Take care of yourself, don’t wander off alone. Keep close to whom you trust.” Out of the thousand other questions that stirred in my mind, I was surprised that the one I asked was “Who is my sister Fiddle? Is she alive?” Fiddle was already in tears. He wiped some of them with his hand and replied, “Marsella”…