Wednesday, June 27, 2012

NightRiser chp4


 CHAPTER 4

This was too much to process in one day. Marsella was my long lost sister? And I was adopted? This was hard to believe. My parents never told me about this. Perhaps they were concerned it’ll hurt me. Well, what about now? Doesn’t the truth coming from a stranger hurt even more? But was he really a stranger, or my grandfather? I was about to pounce on him with dozens of questions when my phone rang and it gave me goose bumps. It was mom, of course she would be concerned. I told her I was about to leave, but I had no intentions to. I got back to Fiddle but he convinced me to go home. And I agreed even though I didn't want to. But I was going to come back soon.
I left with the Abhi and Yen. Abhi could see right through my eyes. He figured I didn’t want to talk about this with Yen around. To change the topic, Abhi was telling me about how strangely Marsella was behaving on the phone before she left but I didn’t want to think about her. Right now I needed to back home and lie on my bed. I ran straight up to my bedroom and started crying. I had mixed emotions which I had no idea how to control- doubt, sorrow, anxiety, frustration and confusion. I trusted Fiddle, but I didn’t want to.
What was I supposed to do? What if Pikshtra’s fellowmen knew about me? There was only one way to find out. I wiped my tears and ran to the window. I started singing my song, or anthem or whatever Fiddle called it. It was the only thing I could trust. Memories of the accident kept flooding my head. Was that a cue? I had decided to wipe it out of my memory, but I recalled it right from the scratch.
It was a winter night. I was reading in my room at around 2 a.m. when I suddenly heard the voice of an old lady begging for help. The voice felt familiar but I couldn’t recognize it. I looked around the corner from my window, but I couldn’t see anybody. The voices grew louder and louder but I couldn’t see any one nearby. Slowly a picture formed in front of my eyes. I was standing in front of a garden which was in Mumbai, just on the outskirts of my area. I had been there before. Three men approached towards me and I was running and screaming for help. I was scared. I shook myself and found myself in my room again. I was scared and wondered what just happened. I sang to the night. The next minute I wore my shoes and I set off to Mumbai. I reached the garden and called out, but no one answered. I felt foolish to travel all the way up. Just then, I heard footsteps. I followed the voice and I saw three men surrounding an old lady, one of them carrying her. It was difficult to say if she was dead or unconscious. I couldn’t scream or shout, nobody would be up this late. I was hiding behind the tree when I covered my face with the scarf. I decided to fight. But the men were strong, even my Karate skills fell short. That’s when Marsella arrived. We two had been Karate champs. But the men were strong. A man caught hold of me. Marsella kicked him hard and we ran but we couldn’t save the old lady. We ran towards my bike, but it was damaged, it wouldn’t start. Marsella had bought her car towards which we rushed in full speed. When we came back home, I started telling my parents all about it when Marsella started lying about the bruises claiming them to be from a car accident. I tried to convince my parents the truth, but they just wouldn’t listen. Marsella lied about me going to Mumbai, being a mere dare. But my parents bought it.
Did Marsella know about us then? Did she know we were… aliens? And was ‘connection’ the reason she found me? I called her at least a hundred times, but she didn’t answer. Marsella had been my best friend before the incident. She would be there for me every time, any time. Even if I was upset after midnight, when the entire world slept, she would still talk to me without feeling sleepy. That was it! Marsella didn’t sleep at night either. Why didn’t I think of this before? This could mean only one thing; Fiddle was right about Marsella being my sister... We were aliens on our own planet. Where was Marsella? We had tons to talk.
Fiddle couldn’t bear the sun as much as we could. I thought it evolved over time but that’s when it struck me. Fiddle was a complete alien. He landed here straight from Prisma. But we were half night risers. Our dad had married a human. May be that is the reason we could blend in more.
I didn’t even realize when the sun rose. I went down for breakfast. I couldn’t even face mom and dad. But I needed to, I needed to know from them that I was adopted. When Bob and dad left, mom turned to me “Don’t you want to go to college today sweetie?” “I will, after some time”, I answered in a harsh voice. “Mom, I want to see the pictures of my childhood”, I pushed. She gave me the album but I couldn’t find a picture of mom in the hospital, with me just born. “Was I adopted?” I threw my question on her. I couldn’t think straight, nor could she. She was in shock. “Who told you that dear? It’s all rubbish” and changed the topic. But I couldn’t let this go. I forced the truth out of her.
Mom had never looked so miserable. She eventually gave in. She told me the same story that Fiddle told me; that I was at her doorstep in a basket with a letter. I had never seen her cry so much. “How did you know about this sweetie?” she asked in a low voice. I couldn’t answer her. “What was written in the letter mom?” she went inside and bought a crumpled piece of paper. Had she kept it all these years? She handed it over to me. It was handwritten in a very shabby manner. It read,
This is my daughter Lunette. She is one of a kind. Please take care of her. I cannot keep her with me. I need her to be safe. And Lunette, if you ever read this paper, I want you to know that I love you.
I didn’t know what to say. I felt betrayed. Mom and dad had kept such a big secret from me.I left for college though I wasn’t going to attend it. I left in a speed I couldn’t imagine. All my life I had been a practical person and here I was, a magical creature who could read minds at night. Well, I had never actually done that, thanks to the weakened connection.
I ran up to the terrace of my college which I usually visited when I was upset. Clearly Marsella knew the whole story and she also knew Fiddle. Then why didn’t she tell me? Or did she? Ever since the incident, she had been trying to tell me something important, but I had ignored her ever since. I didn’t want to see her face, let alone listen to her. But now I wanted to see her. I went to her class but didn’t find her there. She wasn’t picking her cell phone. Her parents didn’t know where she was. She had been missing since yesterday. Was she in danger? I had to find out. But how? It was noon. I couldn’t take help from the night. “What are you doing here and why aren’t you in class Lune?” Abhi startled me. I wish I could tell him everything. But I had promised Fiddle, and I knew Abhi. He would never let me go alone if he found out. But I couldn’t do this without his help. “Abhi I need a huge favor” I told him.