Sunday, July 1, 2012

NightRiser chp10-last


CHAPTER 10

I didn’t understand this. Nor did Marsella. We connected. Getting connected was much easier now. It wouldn’t even drain as much energy from us as it did the first time. Arya told us the plan. “When you’ll were at the hospital, I went down to see if I could get any information. That’s when I saw Nana with Abhi and Yen on a nearby street. When he saw me, his men caught me. He was asking Abhi and Yen your location and offered them a huge price. Yen looked at me and I understood what his plan was. Abhi and Yen played along very well. They acted like the amount of money was everything to them. Our plan had a lot of risk involved, but all our lives are at stake here. We needed to know the location of the experiment house. Nana would obviously bring us here, the setup was here, and they both would tag along. Abhi and Yen will be here soon, to destroy this place.”
One more time, we had nothing to say. We all were saving each other’s lives. We felt so guilty and stupid for not trusting Abhi and Yen. Like Arya said, they entered with three other people. They were Arya’s gang members. They took down the security guards. Abhi and Yen took off our masks that Nana had put on our faces and hugged us. There wasn’t even time to ask each other if we were alright. We were free and all ready to destroy this place. There were metal rods in their hands. Each one of us took a rod and started our mission. We wrecked and smashed every machine that we could see. The brain machine had tortured us the most;breaking that one down was our greatest victory. We burnt the observation papers and took out the memory cards and hard drives. Nana entered the room when he heard the noise; he realized he’d been trapped. He used his full strength and compromising tactics but they were all in vain. We were a team, an invincible team.
Arya stopped him and all of us enjoyed a punch in his face. We hit him so hard that he fainted after a while. Arya pulled his trigger and shot him dead. This was it. There was no one else who identified us and had dangerous intentions. We were free. We wouldn’t have to face the agony now, no shocks, no tortures, no experiments. We finally felt like humans uhm I mean night risers rather than guinea pigs.
We went to the hospital and gave grandma the good news. But she didn’t even smile. Clearly there was no improvement in grandpa’s health. Two hours later, the doctor told us that grandpa was out of danger. Finally grandma started crying. We went to his room one by one. The doctor had specifically told us take precautions with doctor masks. We did that.
When I entered the room, grandpa smiled. He said with a grin, “When I was shot, you called me grandpa and not Fiddle, I liked it.” He had just recovered and he was already making me laugh. “Do you know why the connection comes so easily to you now? It must be easy now isn’t it?” I knew he would answer it no matter what. He said, “Over the years, Pikshtra’s machines and our lowering will power had made it weak. You showed great power and strength when you started the group connection. Everyone felt the same. The connection has become strong now, since it is active.”
It made sense. But grandpa needed to rest right now. I said good bye, and added ‘grandpa’ in the end. He smiled and I came out of the room. Arya stayed with grandma, the rest of us needed to go home. I remembered the day I’d left. I’d accused my mom of lying to me about my birth. But she’d loved me irrevocably like her own child. I owed her a huge apology. Before Yen dropped me home, he hugged me and the hug spoke more than his words. He still hadn’t told me about his feelings but I was sure, one day he would. I wanted him to take the first step, and he definitely would one day. I went home and my parents couldn’t be happier than they were now. Even Bob was crying continuously. I loved my family. I apologized to my mother and slept in her lap. We’d decided to tell everyone the fake ‘kidnapping’ story.
Our life was back to normal.College was more fun now. We secured the second prize for our project. Most of the nights we used the connection to keep it active. Grandpa was still in the hospital but he would be discharged soon. We visited him every day after college. We often talked with Arya.
One day we were having lunch in college as usual, when Yen said, “I wish I had the connection. I wouldn’t have to pay the telephone bill!” Yen was Yen. He would never change. But Marsella looked lost. I asked her what happened. And she said, “I hope Nana didn’t tell anyone else about us as a backup plan…”
THE END